Monday, December 5, 2011

journal - 14 Apprentice

To be Benjamin Franklin's apprentice would be quite an accomplishment, especially back in Franklin's time. In fact, it would be near impossible, considering that I am a female. Back then, women did not have the rights that men did. Women could not hold jobs, they did not have that right. For the most part, women had only two basic rights. One being able to divorce her husband, and the other to be able to own her own land. Those two rights are not necessarily rights that a women even needs, or would want to be in a position to use. So since I would not be able to have a job, I feel like there would be no need for me to be an apprentice, because the whole point of an apprenticeship is to learn a trade from someone who has more experience than you do, in hopes of being able to learn the trade well enough to be able to one day have that trade be your job. So frankly, I do not think that I would be able to be an apprentice to Benjamin Franklin. However, hypothetically speaking, if I was able to be Benjamin Franklin's apprentice, that would be very neat! It would be so interesting to learn straight from a man who has invented so many things! I would learn so much simply from watching him and listening to him. Benjamin Franklin created so many things that are vital to America today, and it would be very interesting to learn about those things, and maybe even gain some understanding about how they work. I feel like after being an apprentice to Franklin I would gain much. Even if I did not gain knowledge or was not more smart after working under him, I would definitely gain wisdom. After all, Franklin was the man who tried to better himself, by following thirteen virtues. Working under a man who has such high self standards as Franklin did, would definitely result in causing me to see things in a whole new perspective and think outside the box from what I'm used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment