Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fahrenheit 451 - 7

Mrs. Bowles, one of Mildred's friends, has had two children. She tells Mildred about them as if they are unimportant. She says, "I plunk the children in school nine days out of ten. I put up with them when they come home three days a month; it's not bad at all. You heave them into the 'parlor' and turn the switch. It's like washing clothes: stuff laundry in and slam the lid...they'd just as soon kick as kiss me. Thank God, I can kick back!" (Bradbury 96.)
The culture they live in does not value family in the slightest. I believe our culture is starting to become like that. In my opinion, if you take on the responsibility of having kids, you must be committed enough to raise them into polite young men and women. I feel like many parents these days, are not instilling good moral values into their children or even taking the time to help them build character. They seem to be so busy with their own lives, that they don't take the time to raise their kids in a wholesome way.
Many children these days do not have very healthy lifestyles. One problem is fast food. So many parents are so busy that they don't have time to prepare or get a healthy meal for their children. It is so much easier to run buy a fast food place or food that carb-loaded and sugar-filled snacks. I believe my generation has a pretty big problem when it comes to diet.
Also, many kids have grown up in environments where family is not valued. As a result, they don't value family and because of that, they are lacking in parts of life that are vital to their mental stability. many kids have grown up with divorced parents or without parents, and that can have a pretty major impact on their future.
I believe that people need to start taking parenting more seriously. They brought the children into this world, so they need to take the time to slow down and raise their children in an appropriate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment