Monday, July 25, 2011

Fahrenheit 451 - 3

On page sixty-four of Fahrenheit 451 Guy Montag says to his wife, Mildred, referring to a feeling he has, "I want to hold onto this funny thing. God, it's gotten big on me. I don't know what it is. I'm so damned unhappy, I'm so mad, and I don't know why. I feel like I'm putting on weight. I feel fat. I feel like I've been saving up a lot of things, and don't know what. I might even start reading books."

I think this is a very natural feeling that everyone feels sometime during their life. I believe, unlike most, that it is very important to feel this way. Along with this feeling comes asking questions and seeking answers. Along with this feeling comes rebellion of normalcy and it promotes taking action against the ways of the world and it helps people find who they truly are and what they truly believe in. I don't think people truly grow up, until they hit this point in their life. This comes at different times for everybody, but is definitely a beneficial thing.

Yes, it may seem like a bad thing because it physically makes you feel bad, and emotionally you feel reckless and spiritually you feel confused. But overall, it is such a good thing. It helps you become an individual. It is not good to conform to the ways of others. Individuality is key. What would this world be without individuals? Things would not work. So i firmly believe that it is OK to feel that way, and honestly is a good thing. Everyone needs to find who they really are.

If people did not feel this way at some point, they would not stop and think what they are living for. That can be a very dangerous thing. It is so easy to get wrapped up in living selfishly and living impulsively for the moment, without thinking of our ultimate goal in life and where we want to be, what we want to do, and who we want to be.

When Montag was feeling that way, he was in a very crucial time in his life. He had major decisions as to how he wanted to live, and no matter what he decided, those decisions would change his life.

Bradbury, Ray. The Hearth and the Salamander. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Simon & Schuster. 1993. 64. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment